BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2012 11:16 pm  #1

The amazing Paul McGuigan - director S1 ep 1 &3

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 6, 2012 6:56 pm  #2

Re: The amazing Paul McGuigan - director S1 ep 1 &3

Paul McGuigan has a  thing about wallpaper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 7, 2012 11:06 am  #3

So I wonder what the screenplay is the Steven Moffat has written that has never been made into a film?

Not surprised he mentions Wallender in the same sentence as Sherlock as being really high quality BBC programmes and the worry that budget cuts will result in a loss of such quality programmes. The fact that they have such little time, relatively speaking for filming each episode of Sherlock is interesting, along with the fact that he thinks the 90 minute format allows the characters to think and be silent for a moment and also time to develop some ideas, which 60 minute programmes don't allow.

He mentions 'the hat' and that he wanted to 'get it going but was told not to'. Does that mean he got his own way on the end or did the writers just want to introduce it at a later date?

I also really liked his analysis of Benedict, Martin and Rupert as actors and people. The fact that Benedict is just incredibly posh really and that Martin therefore says he must have gone to school at Hogwarts is funny. I guess that's why in one of the commentaries they call him 'Cumberlord' and that he 'does tend to assume everyone is there to help him'. The fact that in front of the camera some actors become taller and bigger and better looking and Benedict is one of those actors. I guess the camera 'loves' him. All great screen actors have this quality.

A really interesting article. Thank you for posting it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 7, 2012 11:30 am  #4

The interview was about series one. So the hat idea had not been exploited at that stage.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 7, 2012 5:22 pm  #5

I reckoned so. Glad they introduced the hat thoug. It's such an iconic Sherlockian prop that it is good to see it included even as 'a death frisbee'.

March 7, 2012 8:12 pm  #6

Yeah, I think it's much more realistic for Sherlock to ridicule the hat too, because obviously no one really wears them these days...except geeky Sherlockians. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 7, 2012 10:19 pm  #7

SH You've  put a photo of me in that hat on there.
jW People like the hat.
SH No they don't! Which people?

March 10, 2012 11:00 pm  #8

On Twitter Paul states that if the stars align he would love to work on Sherlock again because it is a dream job.

March 11, 2012 4:27 pm  #9

Well he did a great job so I'm sure he will work on it again.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 11, 2012 4:29 pm  #10

Agreed! He is a real talent.

May 17, 2012 9:30 pm  #11

Paul McGuigan is speaking tonight at BAFTA Scotland in a 'Master class' on directing. I had to laugh at his tweet which said that it was more like talking s...e! Another true Scot! Lol

May 18, 2012 2:55 am  #12

ha,  that was a very funny tweet.     Sounds like it would have been a fascinating class:

http://www.bafta.org/scotland/whats-on/mastering-your-craft-directing-with-paul-mcguigan,3273,BA.html

May 18, 2012 3:06 am  #13

Davina wrote:

Another true Scot!

You know as someone born there I find that remark prejudualist.

*Slaps Davina with white gauntlet and throws it to ground* (That's how the internet kiddies do it isn't it?)

See you tomorrow Longshanks!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 18, 2012 5:54 am  #14

Prejudualist? At least I didn't write Scotch! Glad the gauntlet sounds clean, at least! Aye! Tomorrow at dawn it is Sir!

May 18, 2012 7:22 am  #15

Mor, I love the Scottish accent. I love it. Sometimes I can't understand quite well but it sounds like music to my ears. I just had to say it 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 18, 2012 11:01 am  #16

Ok, so I'm going to offer you a meal as a peace offering m0r. Sadly it will have to be a virtual meal as you and are on different continents. I wanted to post the pictures but you know I am rubbish at that sort of thing- probably comes from being an Essex Girl! Lol

FIRST COURSE

www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/cock_a_leekie_soup

Followed by...

SECOND COURSE

www.obanargyll.com/haggis.html

Freshly caught of course. Served with tatties and neeps.

And to finish a healthy portion of..

DESSERT

Deep-fried.food.com/recipe/deep-fried-mars-bars-43463

All washed down with a cheeky little bottle of...

www.irn-bru.co.uk/adverts/favourite-ads.html

Bon appetite!

May 18, 2012 1:53 pm  #17

I do miss Irn-Bru. However a truly lowlander meal would comprise of:

Chicken chaat and mixed pakora for starters.

Char sui chow mein (Heavy on the black bean sauce) for the main - chopsticks mandatory.

Cheese board and port for finisher.

Any alcohol will do as we Scots aren't picky beyond the 'must contain alcohol' element of drink.

On topic, I knew quite a few of the crew on THE ACID HOUSE (Rubbish film - enjoyable book!) and could possibly have been beaten up by McGuigan's 'body guard'/'One man entourage' 11 years ago. I didn't know what he looked like until I saw the photo of him with Morgan Freeman and it was a while ago but 'director' + 'looking like that' = loosely associated memory of April/May 2001.

-m0r

May 18, 2012 5:13 pm  #18

Whisky? Blended or Malt? Water or ice?

Are ye suggestin' Mr. McGuigan or his bodyguard are perhaps related to Barry? Was it a Glasgow kiss? Xx

May 18, 2012 5:26 pm  #19

Glenmorangie - any of the casks really but the port one is particularly nice, the tiniest splash of water.

Not sure who Barry is but yes there was a stookie involved and a chicken breast covered in Heinz tomato soup trying to pass itself off as a tikka masala.

Ah those halcyon days!

-m0r

May 18, 2012 8:48 pm  #20

Barry McGuigan is a famous, Irish, boxer m'dear. Glad to hear you take water with your Gelnmorangie. Sounds like a real culinary EXPERIENCE!

I like Glasgow actually and Edinburgh. Visited the zoo there a few years ago. Got friends in Glasgow. Also spent a lovely family holiday many, many years ago when I was 'wee' on the Isle of Mull. The Wombles always meant more to me because of that, I think. Queue Wombles theme tune?

Board footera