BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2012 2:22 am  #1

Sherlock flyer campaign mystifies US students

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03-02/sherlock-flyer-campaign-mystifies-us-students

"Watson's Warriors" plaster college with posters as Cumbermania goes global...
Students at an American university have been left perplexed by a series of flyer campaigns across their campus in recent weeks.

"Moriarty was real," read one of the leaflets. "Richard Brook is a lie," stated another. Surely this was a case for Sherlock...

But before anyone had time to call the fictional sleuth, pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch, along with the phrase "I believe in Sherlock Holmes", began appearing in large numbers around Dunlap Hall at North Georgia College and State University.

The need for a detective, fictional or otherwise, was negated when a mysterious group of students calling themselves Watson's Warriors took responsibility for the silliness.   

"This is not really a geeky campus, I just wanted to see what kind of reaction the flyers would get," a student named as Watson’s Warrior No 1 told the university newspaper.

Apparently the message was simple: "Watch the show, it’s fantastic." The show in question was of course Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss's Sherlock, which is making waves Stateside - just as it is across much of the world.

But the mystery did not end there. A few days later, a second wave of flyers began appearing across campus, this time stating "I believe in Moriarty", apparently in support of Holmes's arch nemesis. Team Sherlock immediately retaliated, writing pro-Holmes messages on chalkboards around the campus.

After a bitter battle - and as university noticeboards began to run out of space - the warring factions called a truce.

But before you write in suggesting this is a frivolous Friday non-story, consider what Watson’s Warrior No 2, a NGCSU sophomore, had to say: "The flyers were the most exciting thing I’ve seen on campus!â€

Case closed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 3, 2012 5:52 am  #2

Re: Sherlock flyer campaign mystifies US students

Brilliant.   

Can't believe no one's picked up on this before - it's going on all over the place now apparently (I'm yet to witness any myself but pretty certain I will do soon enough...I don't really get out much anyway!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 3, 2012 6:11 am  #3

series 2 doesn't start in the USA until may i believe; so only those who get it online will know what it is about.
Much like here even now. It didn't rate well, so only the loyal have understood anything of it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 3, 2012 8:06 am  #4

kazza474 wrote:

series 2 doesn't start in the USA until may i believe; so only those who get it online will know what it is about.
Much like here even now. It didn't rate well, so only the loyal have understood anything of it.

I cheated. I just couldn't wait until May to watch.

But in my defense I own series 1 on blu- ray and will be purchasing series 2 asap.

(also I give myself credit for knowing to call it series, not season!)

March 3, 2012 9:36 am  #5

Yeah - season is an Americanism!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 3, 2012 12:46 pm  #6

Fantastic! The wheels here in Norway has started moving to

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

Board footera