BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2012 7:36 am  #1

Question on John's sleeping arrangements at Sarah's flat.

When John wakes up at Sarah's he is stiff from sleeping on the sofa. Sarah comments that he should have slept on the *___*. I haven't been able to figure out this word. Can anyone tell me what she says? Mycroft asks John about it when he returns to 221B, but I still can't understand what he says. I suspect this is a British term that I'm not familiar with. I'd appreciate anyone clearing up this mystery for me.

September 26, 2012 8:02 am  #2

Re: Question on John's sleeping arrangements at Sarah's flat.

A "Lie Low" and as the name suggests, it's a low height bed.
I believe it is basically a British term.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 26, 2012 9:37 am  #3

LILO. It is usually an inflatable mattress. This term is also used for those inflatables that you can lie on in the swimming pool or in the sea. You know the ones it is practically impossible to get on in any elegant manner and equally impossible to get off without rolling into the water.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 26, 2012 11:15 pm  #4

Oh, thanks.  I'd never been able to figure out the word, either.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 27, 2012 6:44 am  #5

I understand the word LILO, just didn't know what it is. These things are horrible, I hate to sleep on them.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 27, 2012 4:56 pm  #6

To figure out the word, I had to turn on the subtitles on my DVD.  Then once I saw the word, I googled it to see what it really was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 27, 2012 5:02 pm  #7

Ivy wrote:

I understand the word LILO, just didn't know what it is. These things are horrible, I hate to sleep on them.

But it's even better to sleep on a LILO than on the LINO.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 28, 2012 12:51 pm  #8

I find it really amusing that Sarah doesn't let him sleep in the bed...poor John.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 29, 2012 3:27 am  #9

"Maybe next time I'll let you kip at the end of the bed."
"And what about the time after that?"
I liked Sarah. I wish she had stayed on. I suppose that's just the fate of John "Three Continents" Watson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 4, 2012 10:22 pm  #10

Thank youi! That term had been bugging me, too. In the US we call it an air mattress.

Yes, sorry to see Sarah go.

October 5, 2012 7:34 pm  #11

Maybe she'll be back!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 1:55 am  #12

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I'm among those Americans who love British culture, but don't always understand terms unfamiliar in our typical American speak.

October 8, 2012 7:22 am  #13

Funny tho.
I remember when I was about 16, at school.
My pal turned to me in the English class and asked:  how do you spell ' lielow'?
Not only did I not have a clue what she was talking about, as you can see, I still do not know how to spell that word!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 5:31 pm  #14

blackeyedlily wrote:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I'm among those Americans who love British culture, but don't always understand terms unfamiliar in our typical American speak.

Yay for Americans who love Brits!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 3, 2012 3:05 am  #15

I'll second that Yay for Americans who love Brits as I'm one of theml and I too appreciate this explanation as I never really understood this exchange. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 2, 2013 8:05 am  #16

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

"Maybe next time I'll let you kip at the end of the bed."
"And what about the time after that?"
I liked Sarah. I wish she had stayed on. I suppose that's just the fate of John "Three Continents" Watson.

Three Continents???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Freeman is adorable!

January 2, 2013 8:28 am  #17

I think it's supposed to mean he's a man of the world.

January 2, 2013 8:31 am  #18

It's an allusion to "The Sign of Four" in which Watson's experience with women on three continents is mentioned. So it's a nod to his image as a ladies' man (although in the series he doesn't seem to be very successful).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 23, 2013 6:44 am  #19

I think LILO is actually the brand name, and it presumably has been so commonly used in the UK that air mattresses have come to be known as "lilos" -- i.e., a generic trademark (like Xerox'ing a copy, or using a Kleenex to blow a nose, or Googling a term).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which one of the following statements does not belong with the rest?  Deduce away!

Luke, I am your father. -  Do you feel lucky, punk? -  Elementary, my dear Watson. - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

May 30, 2013 7:34 pm  #20

Thanks so much for enlightening me. Just watching the episode and it bugged me again 
Also loved Sarah, they had such good chemistry.. and she is smart. Miss her.

Board footera