BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2012 12:14 pm  #1

Anyone watching Downton Abbey?

I thought I'd already seen a thread on Downton Abbey, but I cannot seem to find it despite my best efforts.

Anyway, I was wondering who here is watching this show--this is yet another that my friends are not familiar with. Maybe I need to host a TV night to get everyone caught up with my favorite non--American shows. I am excited that I've found a way to watch it here in the states now rather than waiting until January or whenever it's supposed to come out here. It's probably in my top 3 favorite shows, Sherlock being number one, of course.

I've just finished the premiere of season three. Anyone else caught up? What did you think?

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

November 11, 2012 3:15 am  #2

Re: Anyone watching Downton Abbey?

I saw one show   two weeks ago. I was just reading the episode guides,   and I can't really  tell you which show I saw.   Maggie Smith is BRILLIANT   as the matron there-  she's on the board of directors at their hospital there.   I  LOVE  the fact that this takes place right after the Titanic sinking in 1912.   THAT was a terrible year, not only  for the sinking,  but also  for the upper classes in England, and for the folks in the USA and around the world.    And I  didn't  know of it till this year!!   But I  love this series.     But netflix   has seasons 1 and 2,  so I'll catch you up on those soon!!   It will premiere on PBS  in January  in USA,  the SAME month as MERLIN does on the syfy channel!!   Oh  dear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 11, 2012 11:11 am  #3

My brother-in-law gave me series 1 as a present but I didn't have the time to watch it so far. Too much Sherlock and PE, I suppose. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 11, 2012 11:16 am  #4

Same over here. I just looked it up on my TV series DVD shelf: It sits - still unopened - between "To The Ends of the Earth" and "The Office".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 11, 2012 1:32 pm  #5

tobeornot221b wrote:

Same over here. I just looked it up on my TV series DVD shelf: It sits - still unopened - between "To The Ends of the Earth" and "The Office".

Honestly, if I had the choice between watching PE again and Downton Abbey (which I have) … 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 12, 2012 10:09 pm  #6

Banbha wrote:

I've just finished the premiere of season three. Anyone else caught up? What did you think?

I like Downton Abbey. Well, I must say, I loved series 1, I thought series 2 was a bit of a letdown (not that bad as our Ben thinks, but not as good as the first one) and series 3... well, I liked it, but it has not been great. It has a tremendous twist by episode 5, but overall is not as good as it started being. Some plots are just ridiculous and others are... well. I don't know. I don't want to spoil it for you.

As usual, I am more interested in the things that happen downstairs and I like much more the job of the actors playing the servants than the ones playing the people upstairs.

But anyway, when you finish with it maybe we can comment more in depth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

November 29, 2012 7:30 am  #7

did anyone in the USA  or elsewhere happen to catch the special  titled  "Downton Abbey Revisited"?   Angela Lansbury hosted it.   I  love her.....she'd be a perfect character on it.   Anyway  this special reviewed seasons 1 and 2, and gave  us a sneak peak at seson 3,  which starts in january  2013  for US viewers.   I  can't wait.   But first, I must catch up with it via netflix....so--  off I go!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

November 29, 2012 6:25 pm  #8

I've seen bits and snippets of it and I saw the first episode, but other than that, I haven't seen much. I need to watch them all on Netflix too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 7, 2013 5:27 pm  #9

I finally started watching it and I really enjoy it. Nice plot twists, nice costumes, nice house. But that exactly is the problem - it's very, very commercial, a sort of Edwardian soap opera. Don't get me wrong, it's really entertaining but it reminds me a bit of candy floss - sweet, but without substance. They touch upon social problems, no doubt, but everything remains very much on the surface. The characters tend to be black (Thomas, the footman, and Mrs O'Brien, the lady's maid) or white (Lord Grantham), there aren't many shades in between. My favourite characters are to be found amongst the staff - Bates, the valet, and Anna, the chief house maid.

I watched PE shortly before this so I think I can draw a comparison. You feel at once that this one is based on literature while DA is a well-made, commercial, contemporary script. And one big difference is the beautiful design of PE, the scenes that look like paintings, the exquisite costumes and interior designs (I'm thinking of the spectacularly beautiful house of the Duchemins).

I enjoy watching DA but I'm not sure if I would buy season 2 (season 1 was a present).

January 7, 2013 6:40 pm  #10

The first season was on German TV over Christmas. I liked it, but wouldn't want to buy it on DVD. It reminds me a lot of Upstairs, Downstairs.

I agree on everything you said Susi. It is really a soap opera.

Bates and Anna are my favourite couple, too. They are so frustrating! And Maggie Smith is of course brilliant.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 7, 2013 7:30 pm  #11

Watched most of episode 1 of new season last night (in US). I like it, but, basically, I guess it is a historical soap with great costumes and sets. A few anachronisms in the dialogue jarred me last night.

January 7, 2013 8:16 pm  #12

I watch Downton I've seen all the episodes. You're in for such a big surprise if you haven't seen the last one yet! :O

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 7, 2013 8:17 pm  #13

Oh, I'm only as far as episode 4. 

January 7, 2013 8:36 pm  #14

Oh shame! My DVD continues to exist as an unopened shelf sitter...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 7, 2013 9:01 pm  #15

I watched it on German television during the holidays. I liked it. It will never become my favourite, but I am looking forward to season 2. Just to see what evil things Thomas and Mrs O'Brien will do next.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 7, 2013 9:03 pm  #16

Ivy wrote:

The first season was on German TV over Christmas. I liked it, but wouldn't want to buy it on DVD. It reminds me a lot of Upstairs, Downstairs.

Agree! Watched it over Christmas, too, and it reminded me immediately of ........ Das Haus am Eaton Place! 
Was quite relaxing.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 9, 2013 4:17 am  #17

My husband saw someone at the fitness center wearing a "Free John Bates" t-shirt.

January 9, 2013 7:40 am  #18

veecee wrote:

My husband saw someone at the fitness center wearing a "Free John Bates" t-shirt.

I'm only as far as episode 5 of series 1 but it's good to hear that people care about John Bates. I like really his character. 

January 11, 2013 8:02 am  #19

I've watched ALL  of season 1  on netflix,  and PBS  did marathon  of S2  last sunday,  so  I taped it.   Am thinking of buying it.   Yes I'm all caught up now.   

Oh  Anna and John Bates are a SWEET   couple!!!    and William and Daisy--I  liked them too.   Lady Mary Crawley  took me awhile to like her.  She's tough,  but I later saw some  walls breaking down in her attitude.  Lady Edith?   good  sister, bad sister.   Lady Sybil?   I  like her quite well.   Lord and Lady Grantham, as they are known as,   (Robert and Cora Crawley are their  private names))  they are a  wonderful  Lord and Lady.   Mathew--I  LOVE  him--  you  just can't resist falling in love with a man like him. And Lady Violet the dowager countess of Grantham-----OOOOHHH  Dame Maggie Smith--need I say more?   I  Love Mr. Carson,  Mrs. Patmore,  Mrs. Hughes....

The villains here   are Thomas,  Miss O'brien  (Cora's lady's maid  who did something so terrible in S1)  Sir Richard Carlisle,  and that sneaky Major Bryant  who was recovering at the downton hospital.   He sneaked around with one of the housemaids, which was frowned upon back in those days.   

The  time frame is very interesting.   There's medical drama everywhere,  and it's interesting to find out how the doctors  treated patients back then. 

One thing puzzles me--  why  is this series called Downton Abbey?   Why not Downton House or Downton Manor  or something?  I  don't understand the Abbey part.   

All  in all,   great  series and great writing,  and great character building and hierachy.   I  just LOVE  the castle they film at.   It's called Highclere Castle,   and it's in Hampshire, England.   Sigh.   Now I've found  another reason I'd like to visit England!!   And, yes,  they DO  use some of the real rooms inside the castle itself.  And I  love the costumes on there too.   Sometimes it's funny.   (Mathew and Lord  Grantham  showed up for dinner wearing black ties and morning coats,  while the rest of the men dressed in White ties  and dinner jackets!)     

Ok  It's way past my bedtime,  but here I am  chatting merrily away!!    Oh,  I  wish I could have lived back  in  the early 1900's.   I  wonder what they did for hearing impaired ppl?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 11, 2013 8:44 am  #20

sherlockskitty wrote:

One thing puzzles me--  why  is this series called Downton Abbey?   Why not Downton House or Downton Manor  or something?  I  don't understand the Abbey part.

Ahh, that's right up my alley.
After the Norman invasion in the 14th century, there were many Abbeys built around the newly built churches, as they (Rome) tried introducing a big push for Christianity. Abbeys housed nuns or monks basically. But an Abbey isn't a single building, it's a series of buildings including things like libraries, kitchens,  or places of prayer as well as the church building.
Anyway, they were thriving little communities all related to praising the Lord in the Catholic faith.
Around 1536, Henry VIII put in place the Dissolution of Monastries which were laws that basically disassembled churches, abbeys, monasteries etc that were connected to the Cathoic faith, as he had now started the Church of England & was head of that church. This was done to basically wipe out the Catholics & the 'hold' the Pope used to have over England & its rulers etc. (And of course that all came about because the Pope wouldn't allow Henry to divorce his wife, Catherin of Aragon. Watch The Tudors for this, lol)
Anyway, a lot of religious sites were dismantled & everything sold off for profit to the King.
Some Abbeys prevailed but for the most part, where there WAS an Abbey, large residences were set up; either in the origina buildings or on the grounds. The name "Abbey" has basically stuck with many of these sites over the centuries.

So, while there isn't an Abbey there now, it was once the grounds of one.

On the subject of the show, while it's not 100% correct in all historical details, neither are many; this is after all entertainment, not a history lesson. But it captures the moments quite well.
I like the fact that it shows more of both the 'upstairs' AND the 'downstairs' and the interaction which must have gone on.
It shows the politics of the time; it shows the structure of the class system quite well and especially the 'infiltration' of Americans into the society. These were days of change, just before and after the war, where shiftng values as far as 'class' and society went & from what I see & what I know it has been detailed very well.
I truly enjoy historical looks at these types of events, when we know where we came from, we can start to understand where we are now & where we are going in the future. Again, right up my alley.

Yes, there are dramatic moments that one could class as 'soap' but truly, that stuff did/does happen. There are comical moments (not meant to be comical, but ...) because ironic things did/do happen to all of us.
I could go on but I think the general acceptance worldwide of this show has shown it has much appeal. It wins awards because it is very well constructed.

Last edited by kazza474 (January 11, 2013 8:58 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera