BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2012 2:41 am  #1

The Hobbit

News Article here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1680152/the-hobbit-movie-stars.jhtml

The giggle part:
The "War Horse" actor admitted that the only trouble he had while on set was keeping a straight face when he saw his friend and "Sherlock" co-star Martin Freeman in costume as lovable Hobbit Bilbo Baggins.

"It was great. I got to hang out with him, and I kept a straight face for a bit and then I started giggling because I know Martin, I don't know Bilbo," Cumberbatch said with a grin.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 1, 2012 7:31 pm  #2

Re: The Hobbit

Martin actually looks really cute in the trailers as Bilbo. Are hobbits made from jam, kittens and rage too?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 16, 2012 4:24 pm  #3

wkwk..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 16, 2012 11:41 pm  #4

Everytime I see his hobbit character, I just want to reach for the hairdressing scissors.

I wonder how "Jam, kittens and rage" is 'translated' in the USA? They call Jam - Jelly.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 17, 2012 7:34 am  #5

Old article about Ben's character in the Hobbit

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies/news/a361110/andy-serkis-benedict-cumberbatch-will-be-extraordinary-in-hobbit.html

I had a good laugh however at the part at the bottom.

Do you Hobbit fans realise that you will be stressing out over a long wait over and over again???

"The Hobbit will be divided into two parts and released as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 14, 2012, and The Hobbit: There and Back Again on December 13, 2013."

So, you're all waiting for the first one in December this year.
Then you see that & will be buzzing for a while over it.

Then you return to waiting for Sherlock Series 03
And hopefully will see that in the latter half of 2013 and be buzzing madly like we all are now.

Then Hobbit fans endure another long wait till December 2013.

Oh dear, I have decided I shall not try to watch/learn ANYTHING about the Hobbit now!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 18, 2012 11:49 am  #6

Yes, it's always waiting, and waiting...
But I'm used to it by now. I waited for the three films of LOTR, for each of the series of Spooks and for the fifth season of Mad Men (about 18 months). So well, I know I can do it, though it will be hard.
The worst thing about The Hobbit is that we won't listen to Benedict's voice till the second film, in 2013. The good thing is we will have a lot of Martin in both films 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 19, 2012 10:30 pm  #7

kazza, you should give at least the second part of 'The Hobbit' a try. To cast Ben Cumberbatch as Smaug vs Freeman's Bilbo was a stroke of genius. The dialog between Smaug and Bilbo could be wickedly funny, if they stick closely to Tolkien's book. The whole book is full of brilliant satire, something, we do not associate with LotR. I wonder, when the casting actually happened. Was 'Sherlock' on the horizon already?
Irene, yes, always the wait... But nothing was worse for my sons and me, than the years of waiting for the final Harry Potter books. They grew up during that time. But by the time the last book was published, we had figured out the central mystery (is Prof. Snape good or bad, and why did Dumbledore trust him) pretty correctly with the help of the world wide web.
Did the article say, Sherlock 3 will be aired in the LATTER half of 2013??? Damnit!! But, I'm sure, by then SOMEONE will have figured out everything. Problem: We won't know, who figured it out correctly!

March 20, 2012 12:43 am  #8

Oh, yes, I forgot about the Potter waiting... though I've read them all in my late twenties, so I only had to wait for the three last books. Anyway, it was a long time between books also.

About what you ask on The Hobbit films, I think Cumberbatch's casting happened about May 2011, so Sherlock's first series had already been aired and they were about to film the second one 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 20, 2012 8:41 am  #9

Irene, thanks for the casting info. It couldn't possibly have been random. I like the idea, that they motion captured Smaug, rather than make him  completely computer generated like the spiders for example. He has a lot of personality -  and he is easily bored, since guarding a treasure doesn't offer many distractions. So he has something in common with Sherlock.
The wait for the Potter books was awsome. My younger son speaks English very well. He learned it during a sabbatical stay in Long Island. He was soo proud to be able to read the books three month in advance, while all his friends had to wait for the German translations. I went from sewing Potter costumes, when he was young, to making bets with him about Snape being good or bad, when he was older.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 20, 2012 8:43 am)

March 20, 2012 8:55 am  #10

Yep and I remember reading something about The Hobbit having to stop filming whilst they returned to UK to film series two of Sherlock. Moffat, I think, commented on how backwards it was for a major budget film to accommodate Sherlock's shooting schedule lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 10, 2012 8:58 pm  #11

I can't wait for the hobbit to come out! I've been waiting for years... I'm so glad my two favourite actors are in it! =) they did have to stop filming it and now, my dad (a big lotr fan) said they are either finishing the last scenes or editing and adding the effects! =) ready for us! =) they're not filming Sherlock until early next year and Benedict's doing started at the moment! =)

- Y.H.S

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 10, 2012 8:59 pm)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 10, 2012 10:28 pm  #12

Young Sherlock, me and my sons waited for years, too, lol! I'm a great LotR fan. Have you read 'The Hobbit' ? If not, you should, because it's very witty and well written. It starts like a book for smaller kids, but as the story develops, it gets more serious. The dialogs between Bilbo and Smaug are great. If you picture Martin Freeman and Ben Cumberbatch doing them, you really have something to look forward to. Unfortunately we will probably not see Smaug in the first movie, so we have to wait until 2013.

April 10, 2012 11:12 pm  #13

my dad and I love it! I haven't read it but I think I will! =) I just can't wait for the new ones! =) I'm a big lotr fan also! I'll definitely take your advice! I wanted to read it before I watched it anyway. Finally,  The wait will make it last longer. Y'know, because we won't just leave the cinema/finish the DVD and think "oh well that was awesome." and it'll all be over but we will be ever more exited that there's one more! (with Benedict yipee!) One more to look forward to! =) =) =)

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 10, 2012 11:13 pm)

DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 25, 2012 1:00 am  #14

Hobbit clips stun industry with new format

SIR Peter Jackson has stunned a cinema convention in Las Vegas by showing 10 minutes of assorted clips previewing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in an innovative new format.

The footage was shown at CinemaCon at Caesar's Palace in 3D at 48 frames per second, rather than the Hollywood standard 24fps.

The director told the gathering of cinema owners and media in a videotaped message from Wellington that using the higher speed produces a smoother image.

He hoped "as many cinemas as possible" would play the movie at 48fps.

The Associated Press reported that in the previewed scenes, blades of grass, facial lines and soaring mountains all appeared luminous and pronounced.

But Variety reported exhibitors were not all enamoured with the look.

"The Hobbit reel looked distinctively sharper and more immediate than everything before it, giving the 3D smoother movement, while losing the cinematic detachment from the motion blur of the longtime industry-standard 24fps," Variety said.

But one exhibitor said "some of the close-up shots looked like an old soap opera on TV".

Deadline.com website reported that the crisp, high-definition look was wildly different and quite startling to those used to film and 24-frame digital 3D.

It quoted another media member saying though it looked "extraordinary" it would deeply divide moviegoers, especially those who like the grain of film.

Jackson said higher frame rates could make cinema more attractive, especially in 3D, as it is gentler on the eyes.

The Hollywood Reporter said the clarity Jackson described was visible in the presentation, but because the clips were described as "a work in progress", Warners did not screen footage that was fully colour-corrected or had completed visual effects.

Digital cinema equipment manufacturers are at CinemaCon discussing plans to support 48fps exhibition.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 25, 2012 1:31 am  #15

‘The Hobbit’ Footage In New Format Draws Lukewarm Response: CinemaCon

Warner Bros played to a full house this morning for its 2012 product presentation at the enormous Caesars Palace Colisseum theatre on the second day of CinemaCon. One reason was certainly pre-publicity about 10 minutes of footage of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit being debuted in the revolutionary new format of 48 frames per second. The exhibs had to wait until the end of Warner Bros topper Jeff Robinov’s entire presentation to see how this potential game-changer looks. But before they did, Jackson gave them a history lesson on the subject in taped introductory remarks (also shot in 3D but at 24 frames per sec) from New Zealand. That’s where he is working on the first of the two new films, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opens December 14 (the second follows a year later). Jackson explained as the process got more talked-about in the industry he became intrigued by it and was hopeful Hobbit could be the first mainstream major studio feature to be projected at 48 frames (24 frames has been the norm for the last 80 years). Now having done it, he feels there is no reason at all to stick with 24. “It gives you much more of an illusion of real life; in 3D it also offers much less eye-strain," he said, adding that with digital technology taking over the exhibition industry now, it’s “simple" , and he asked for the exhibitors’ support. With that, he intro’d 10 minutes of Hobbit footage but warned the crowd that it might take their eyes a little time to get used to. He also noted that the footage was far from finished but that this taste will give them the idea.

Last edited by kazza474 (April 25, 2012 1:31 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 25, 2012 1:34 am  #16

CinemaCon 2012: Peter Jackson Debuts 'The Hobbit' Footage, Touts 48 Frame-Per-Second Exhibition

Warner Bros. showed 10 minutes of 3D footage from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey at 48 frames per second after director Peter Jackson said in a videotaped message that he hopes his movie can be played in 48fps in “as many cinemas as possible"  when it opens Dec. 14.

The Hobbit, the first major motion picture to be made at the higher frame rate, closed the Warner Bros. slate presentation Tuesday at CinemaCon.

Frame rate refers to the number of images displayed by a projector within one second. The cinema standard has been 24 fps for many decades. Jackson explained that in the early days of film, silent pictures were shown at an even lower frame rate -- reducing the amount of film used -- but it was bumped to 24 to support the requirements of sound.
Jackson asserted that with digital, there's “no reason"  to stay with 24, noting that higher frame rates can result in smoother, more lifelike pictures while producing fewer motion artifacts.
In his message, Jackson said higher frame rates could make cinema “more attractive,"  especially in 3D, as it is “more gentle on the eyes."  He added that 2D at 48fps also looks “fantastic."
The clips ranged from action sequences to quieter moments, including a dialogue sequence between Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) and Gollum (Andy Serkis). The CinemaCon audience also saw the return of castmembers from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, including Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) and Orlando Bloom (Legolas).
The clarity Jackson described was visible in the presentation, but because the clips were described as "a work in progress," Warners did not screen footage that was fully color-corrected or had completed VFX work.
Digital cinema equipment manufacturers are at CinemaCon discussing plans to support 48fps exhibition.
Between Cinemark and Rave, there are nearly 4,000 screens in North America that have Barco Series 2 projectors with the required software update and a Doremi Integrated Media Block with beta software to make it capable of playing 48fps, Barco vp digital cinema entertainment Patrick Lee told The Hollywood Reporter.
On Tuesday, Sony announced that a software update for its digital cinema projection systems would support 48fps and be available in the fall. Sony expects the majority of its 13,000 installed 4K digital cinema projectors to support high frame rates by the time The Hobbit is released.
The Hobbit will also be available in 24 fps.
Peter Jackson’s Rings trilogy resulted in an estimated $2.9 billion at the global box office and a combined 17 Academy Awards.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 25, 2012 7:08 am  #17

Is there going to be a reference to pointy ears or hairy feet in the next series of Sherlock do you think? Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 25, 2012 8:06 am  #18

Lol, or hanging out with short scruffy guys.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 25, 2012 12:01 pm  #19

I am very excited about the forthcoming Hobbit film. The Hobbit was one of my favourite books as a child and I actually far prefer it to The Lord of the Rings.

April 28, 2012 5:42 pm  #20

Nice find in a bookstore today: An eight pages free newspaper about Tolkien's Hobbit including two pictures of Martin.
(sorry for the bad picture quality!)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera