BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2012 7:29 am  #1

My Book List

I love to read and have quite a personal library of books that I've collected over the years. I love science fiction/fantasy, romance, suspense/mystery. I'll read anything from any genre that sounds like it might be interesting, and some of those have become my favorites over the years.

Just to name a few in my collection...

I'll read anything by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Ann McCaffrey (unfortunately both authors have passed away, Bradley in 1999 and McCaffrey in 2011, so no new books forthcoming anymore)
Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series about the Napoleonic Wars
Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories"
All of the Harry Potter books (UK editions)
Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series (have added "The Hobbit" to my stack of books to read)
Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles
Frank Herbert's "Dune" Series

And lots more too numerous to name.

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 21, 2012 7:52 am  #2

Re: My Book List

Oh, there are some old acquaintances  .

I read all the HP books in English and read the complete German translation to my son. When I was younger I read and loved "The Mists of Avalon" and "The Lord of the Rings". Atkinson's book I read only recently (as you can see from my book thread) and liked it very much. I can't remember Bradbury because I read it a very long time ago. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2012 8:06 am  #3

It's been quite a few years since I've read Bradbury, but Fahrenheit 451 was always one of my favorites (the book as well as the movie). I have recently introduced my oldest grandson to Bradbury, and he also liked Fahrenheit 451. Actually he and I have similar tastes in books and TV. We both love Harry Potter, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Torchwood, and a few others...it's nice because we are able to talk about them together.

And even though we live in the US, we both prefer the UK editions of Harry Potter. 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?

August 21, 2012 9:25 am  #4

If you like romance/historical then Phillipa Gregory's books are wonderful. They are thoroughly researched and very well-written. The Other Boleyn Girl is a good starting point. They are not sloppy romances. They are very historically accurate.

Ray Bradbury's (RIP Ray) short stories are unsettlingly brilliant. I haven't read them for years but they have stayed with me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 21, 2012 9:26 am  #5

One of the most disturbing and fascinating books I've read is Lionel Shriver's "We need to talk about Kevin". Nothing historical or sci-fi but a great read.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2012 6:30 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

If you like romance/historical then Phillipa Gregory's books are wonderful. They are thoroughly researched and very well-written. The Other Boleyn Girl is a good starting point. They are not sloppy romances. They are very historically accurate.

Ray Bradbury's (RIP Ray) short stories are unsettlingly brilliant. I haven't read them for years but they have stayed with me.

I do like historical romance but tend to read mostly those set in England during the very late 18th century through the Victorian period...the Napoleonic and Victorian years are my favorite historical periods.

I also read some contemporary romantic suspense, ala Christine Feehan's "Ghostwalker" series or Kat Martin's "Raines of Wind Canyon" series; Shannon McKenna is another favorite. As long as they are mostly historically accurate and the characters aren't hopping into bed every other page, I enjoy them.

For some reason I have always had a fascination for Henry VIII and his 6 wives, particularly Anne Boleyn, ever since I saw the movie "Anne of the Thousand Days" back in 1969. I haven't gone out of my way over the years to read or watch additional material about them, but occasionally over the years I would see or read something that piqued my interest. I recently saw the movie version of "The Other Boleyn Girl" and liked it, so I may read the book later when my interest is "piqued" again.

I loved Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles, but I remember as I was reading, from the very first page, having the feeling that something wasn't quite right, and then of course finding out later why everything wasn't quite right. There was a mini series on TV some years back based on The Martian Chronicles that actually was pretty good, even though sometimes it scared the you-know-what out of me. 

Why would I do that?

August 21, 2012 6:38 pm  #7

I also like period pieces, like Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited and K.M. Peyton's Flambards. And I did actually read the books after seeing the TV productions for both. The 1981 mini series for Brideshead was fantastic (I wasn't thrilled with the more recent version), as was the TV production for Flambards.

Last edited by ImaSherlockGirl (August 21, 2012 6:42 pm)

Why would I do that?

August 21, 2012 6:50 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

One of the most disturbing and fascinating books I've read is Lionel Shriver's "We need to talk about Kevin". Nothing historical or sci-fi but a great read.

Thanks for the rec, Susi, but based on what I know of this story I will probably not read it. I find it very difficult to read books of this nature and tend to avoid them whenever possible. V.C. Andrews writes similar stories about children in peril and I find them very disturbing...I read her first book (Flowers in the Attic) and haven't read any of her boos after that.

Do you have any other less disturbing books to recommend? 

Why would I do that?

August 21, 2012 6:59 pm  #9

Personally I love the books of Daphne Du Maurier which, if you haven't read them you would probably enjoy. 'My Cousin Rachel', ' Rebecca' and 'Jamaica Inn' are great. I have them in a enormous book which has all her novels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 23, 2012 1:28 am  #10

If you enjoy old sci-fi, you might like Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" series. Apart from being great sci-fi, it also has amazing characters and some interesting ethical and philisophical things in it.

August 23, 2012 4:11 am  #11

I've heard of the Ender's Game series but haven't read it. It sounds like something my grandson would like, though, and he and I share a similar taste in sci fi, so maybe it's something he and I can do together. I also like the books of Andre Norton, especially her Time Trader series.

Why would I do that?

Board footera