BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2012 1:02 am  #1

Recently Acquired Sherlock Holmes-Related Items

I primarily collect Sherlockian books with a focus on scholarly works, but from time-to-time I pick up the odd Holmes-related object. For those interested in what I've found, I will post pictures/descriptions/info here.

For my inaugural post, here's a really cool item I picked up on e-bay for about $2:

"This is an obsolete Girl Scout badge earned by Juniors called Science Sleuth. Science Sleuth
was available from 1980 to 2011.  This particular version with the orange border was in the World
of Science and Technology and was available from 1980 to 2001.  (After 2001 it had a green border.)":

I originally planned on sewing it onto my bag but it's in such pristine condition that I've decided to keep it in my display case instead.

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 14, 2012 2:49 am  #2

Re: Recently Acquired Sherlock Holmes-Related Items

That's a keeper!

August 15, 2012 3:19 am  #3

Be bold, and pout it on your bag - it will make you smile every time you glance at it!

August 15, 2012 5:43 am  #4

Hmmm.... my daughter was in girl scouts during that time period and I know she earned a number of badges, I'll have to ask her if she has this one. If I'm lucky, she will have it and maybe it won't be attached to her sash and maybe she will let me have it... 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 15, 2012 8:36 pm  #5

Along with Sherlockian scholarship books and girl scout patches, I also try to collect Sherlock Holmes prints. Here's a print from the late 1970s based on the cover of Jack Tracy and Jim Berkey's controversial Subcutaneously, My Dear Watson: Sherlock Holmes and the Cocaine Habit (1978). It measures 14" x 22" and looks pretty amazing on my wall.

Even if you take issue with the content, it's a quite stunning image.

On a side note, Jack Tracy also wrote The Ultimate Holmes Encyclopedia, an invaluable reference to the canon, even after the invention of the Internet.

Last edited by always1895 (August 15, 2012 8:36 pm)

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 18, 2012 3:18 am  #6

In the world of detection, Sherlock Holmes is truly an all-star - so like any all-star, Mr Holmes deserves to have his own baseball-style card right? And wouldn't you know it...Topps (the famous baseball card company) released just that a few years ago:

2010 Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball Card # 110 Sherlock Holmes

PS. If you want your very own, you can pick one up for about $3 from Amazon.

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 22, 2012 9:42 pm  #7

Not sure if it's your sort of thing but it is possible to buy on e.bay uk a London 2012 Olympic pin which has Sherlock Holmes motifs on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 26, 2012 3:41 pm  #8

Keep posting your finds, they are fascinating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 26, 2012 3:57 pm  #9

Maybe you've seen my new Kindle sleeve, I posted a photo elsewhere on the forum. It's made from felt and has the IOU apple glued to one side and Sherlock's silhouette with the smiley stitched to the other. Not my own handiwork, but I love to carry it around with me.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 13, 2012 9:33 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe you've seen my new Kindle sleeve, I posted a photo elsewhere on the forum. It's made from felt and has the IOU apple glued to one side and Sherlock's silhouette with the smiley stitched to the other. Not my own handiwork, but I love to carry it around with me.

OOoohhh I want that for my Nook Color!

These are all great finds. So far, I only have a t-shirt which reads, "Honey, you should see me in a crown." I love it though; the design is great and it isn't big and boxy. It's from Redbubble which has lots of Sherlock prints!

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 13, 2012 11:28 pm  #11

always1895 wrote:

"This is an obsolete Girl Scout badge earned by Juniors called Science Sleuth. Science Sleuth
was available from 1980 to 2011.  This particular version with the orange border was in the World
of Science and Technology and was available from 1980 to 2001.  (After 2001 it had a green border.)":

You are killing me! I left GS as a Junior in 1978. My mother was right, I should have stayed with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 21, 2012 11:38 pm  #12

One of my favorite Sherlockians, the venerable Ray Betzner (who among other achievments is the editor of the 75th Anniversary edition of Vincent Starrett's The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on Wessex Press/Gasogene Books - a volume I encourage everyone to pick up if your interest in Sherlock Holmes is starting to grow beyond just the BBC show) sent me this truly one-of-a-kind Sherlock-related object: a room key for The Royal Clarence Hotel in London. Please note the room number...

Last edited by always1895 (September 21, 2012 11:45 pm)

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

Board footera