BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2012 8:59 pm  #1

Wallender

Does anyone else enjoy the series Wallander? Either the original Swedish version or the Britsh version with Kenneth Branagh?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 18, 2012 8:21 pm  #2

Re: Wallender

Just realised that there are two Swedish versions. I had no idea that there is a series made for TV and written by Henning Mankell with Krista Henriksson in the title role and another set of films with Ralf Lassgard in the title role. Talk about confusing! Anyhow I am watching the Swedish version of The Fifth Woman at the moment with Ralf Lassgard in the title role.

Last edited by Davina (August 18, 2012 8:21 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 18, 2012 9:23 pm  #3

I watched the first series with Branagh and really liked it although I'm no fan of Scandinavian crime fiction. The Swedish series are immensely popular in Germany. But I like KB very much as actor and really enjoyed his performance. Still have to watch the second series.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 19, 2012 4:14 am  #4

I think I've seen two season. Another one starts here this tall. I like it well enough, although I think they overdo his depressed look. I just want to get him some Murine (eye drops).

I like KB a lot. His Hamlet is one of my favorite movies.

August 19, 2012 7:33 am  #5

I prefer the Krista version to the Ralf version. I really loved the cinematography of all of them. I think KB is great in the British version.

August 19, 2012 10:59 pm  #6

Wait, isn't it Wallander?

I've seen a bit (like two episodes or something) of the Kenneth Branagh one because I love Kenneth and Tom Hiddelston. 
It isn't really my type of programme, though...
Again, this is something my parents always watch. (Like... all the stuff I don't really like is their favourite)

I can see, like, objectively, how it is a pretty good show, though.

August 20, 2012 5:52 am  #7

You're right, it's Wallander. And I didn't watch the Swedish versions because I find Scandinavian crime fiction and its adaptations very depressing. I watched the BBC version just for KB. Don't really know why in Germany we've got this hype about Scandinavian crime fiction.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2012 12:07 pm  #8

I really enjoy the British version of Wallander, but I would love Ken to cheer up a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 20, 2012 12:10 pm  #9

Yes, he's very melancholic, isn't he? What about the Swedish Wallanders? Are they any happier?

August 20, 2012 2:51 pm  #10

Oops typo and it won't let me edit the thread title!! Pah! Anyhow...they are all melancholic. I think it's to do with those long, dark Winters myself. That and the influence of Ibsen perhaps.

August 20, 2012 11:33 pm  #11

It's true, isn't it? Those Scandinavian crime shows are always so dark and slow and... well, like SusiGo said, depressing. That's why I don't really like watching them.

But yeah... don't you just wanna hug the Kenneth-Wallander all the time and say "everything's gonna be fine"?

August 21, 2012 6:37 am  #12

Yes, he seems to be in need of a cuddle. 

August 21, 2012 6:40 am  #13

Krista evokes the same response as Ken Branagh in me. Maybe it's the red hair ( not Ken's, Krista's). I like the slow(ISH) pace of the films and the character of Kurt is well-drawn- both in the books and on-screen. Not the sort of programmes to watch to cheer yourself up though but they are thought provoking.

September 13, 2012 8:35 am  #14

I know many Germans who prefer the Swedish series. I love Sir Kenneth Branagh  and the BBC Wallander is brilliantly made, but he's soooo depressing. A friend of mine read all the Mankell books and don't like Branagh portrait of Kurt Wallander at all.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 9, 2012 9:31 pm  #15

I didn't realise until now that Tom Hiddleston's in this as well. 
And they're indeed depressing but so are the books. I don't like reading them but Branagh's very good IMO. In fact he's the only reason I watched them.

December 9, 2012 10:29 pm  #16

Wallander just shows the real Sweden. It's not only Astrid Lindgren. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 9, 2012 10:31 pm  #17

... and Sherlock shows the real Britain? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 9, 2012 10:33 pm  #18

Intelligent, funny and a bit...rude. Maybe. 

December 9, 2012 10:37 pm  #19

I mean, after LIttle Britain, I feel well informed already 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 9, 2012 10:40 pm  #20

I always thought Monty Python was the real Britain already...?

Board footera