BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2012 1:09 am  #1

The Art of deception & lying

Fascinating article here with lots of research possibilities.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/technology/inside-etac-the-school-for-deception-detection-run-by-ei-asia-pacific/story-fn5kftjr-1226406350255

It's about a course called "Establishing Truth and Credibility'", or "ETaC'".
The course is based on the work of Dr Paul Ekman - whose work was made famous by the television show Lie to Me.

It is part of what has been a recent expansion of Ekman's work - hoping to make a profitable global business out of what many have considered to be solely the domain of you-wouldn't-believe-it shows like The Mentalist or Sherlock Holmes.

"This course represents a 'new frontier' of emotional skills. It takes the latest rigorous science and understanding about the nature of emotions, and the nature of trust and deception, into day-to-day workplaces, people's lives and relationships. Translating this into the delivery of practical skills-based training.'"

Also lists Five ways to spot a Liar.

It turns out body language is the least reliable indicator of deception of all of the communication channels. People who are lying make less eye contact. Dead wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 24, 2012 7:46 am  #2

Re: The Art of deception & lying

Brilliant article, Kazza!
Is this meant as a joke:
The training is delivered by Alan Hudson and Malcolm Anderson?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 24, 2012 9:36 pm  #3

I really enjoyed reading this article. Thanks for posting it Kazza.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 24, 2012 9:48 pm  #4

There's this great book with an awful cover "Body Language" by Allan Pease. It has all the stuff about lying, different sings and things in different countries and so on, and will teach you how to read people by how they sit, what movements they do and so on. Of course it's not 100% science but I've noticed that the stuff in it actually works. You can get it for very cheap and I highly recommend it if one like LIE TO ME or is interested in human behaviour. For instance, if I see a photo of a person smiling, I can tell if they're actually smiling or just pretending.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

Board footera