BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2012 12:06 pm  #1

Your favorite movies

I'm a huge movie nerd. Let's get that right out in the open. There's so many movies I consider as my favorites so I thought to list some by a couple of genres. I'd love to hear your favorite films cause maybe there's people here who have similiar tastes and we can discover new movies we haven't heard of before. I think the best movie decade was the 1970s and my favorite director is Woody Allen. I'm always open for movie discussion so I hope there's people who want to talk about this stuff.

Sci-fi/fantasy:

Alien/Aliens, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Terminator, The Thing (1982),  Disctrict 9, The Man from Earth, Star Wars (the original trilogy), Predator, RoboCop, Back to the Future, Inception, Avatar, Ghost in the Shell, The Matrix, The Abyss.

Horror:

The Shining, Jaws, The Thing (1982), Descent, Halloween, The Fly (1986), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Scream, Evil Dead 2 - Dead By Dawn, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1979), Saw, Repulsion.

Drama:

One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest, The Graduate, Annie Hall, Manhattan, The Pianist, Rocky, When Harry Met Sally, Once, (500) Days of Summer, Hannah and Her Sisters, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men (1957), Chasing Amy, The Big Lebowski, Husbands and Wives.

Music:

The Blues Brothers, This is Spinal Tap, Once, The Commitments, Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny,

Action:

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Bourne Ultimatum, Hard Boiled, The Killer, The Avengers, Taken, Enter the Dragon,

Thriller:

Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, Memento, The Prestige, Fargo, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Das Boot, The Dark Knight, Drive, Heat, Serpico, Hana-Bi.

Comedy:

Swingers, Clerks, A Fish Called Wanda, Groundhog Day, Monthy Python and the Holy Grail, The Odd Couple, Diner, Dumb & Dumber, The Breakfast Club, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The School of Rock, The Apartment, Bananas.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 21, 2012 10:19 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Your favorite movies

Ok, I haven't read your list, I'll post mine and then read yours and see what we have in common. Though I confess I have read your Woody Allen comment... and he is one of my top three all-time directors, so I guess we'll enjoy talking about him.
Here's my list. Though I really don't know where to start... it's always difficult for me to make lists of favorites, so I guess I'll say just some of them and then I'll keep adding new ones over the days...

Drama
The Godfather, The Godfather part II, Match Point, The English Patient, Schindler's list, Bleu, The pianist, The piano teacher (don't know if that's the title in English, the original was La pianiste, by Hanecke), Million dollar baby, The bridges of Madison,

Comedy
To be or not to be, Some like it hot, Bullets over Broadway, Pulp Fiction, The Artist, Life of Brian, Love Actually, Manhattan mistery murder, Four weddings and a funeral, Inglorious basterds.

Musical
West Side Story, Camelot, My fair lady.

Thriller
Psycho, Vertigo, Tinker tailor soldier spy, Heat, The third man, Rebecca, Memento.

Sci-Fi and fantasy
Star Wars (the original trilogy), 2001, The Lord of the Rings, Blade Runner, Hulk.

Adventures
Indiana Jones (the first three, the fourth was a bit of a let down)

Last edited by Irene Adler (June 17, 2012 2:15 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 17, 2012 6:02 pm  #3

@Irene Adler - It seems we have a few favorite movies in common. Yeah Woody Allen's films are great. I've seen 41 feature films he's directed (all but WHAT'S UP, TIGER LILY?), including the TV movie DON'T DRINK THE WATER. From movies he acts in but haven't directed I've seen THE FRONT, PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM, and PICKING UP THE PIECES. I think his best movies are SLEEPER, MANHATTAN, ANNIE HALL, RADIO DAYS, HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS, HUSBANDS AND WIVES, DECONSTRUCTING HARRY, MATCH POINT and MIDNIGHT IN PARIS. I wrote a post in my blog awhile ago called "12 reasons why I dig Woody Allen's movies" and I thought I'd copy/paste it here. I would also like to comment on some of your favorite movies but since this is going to be a long post already, I'll leave that to a later time.

1. He’s directed only his own scripts ever since he was dissatisfied how What’s New Pussycat? turned out . There are exceptions of course but when you make a movie based on a story and characters you’re written yourself you can really bring them alive. Kevin Smith is a prime example of this. Clerks and Chasing Amy are brilliant movies and sadly Cop Out sucked big time. Then again so did Red State. So maybe Allen is like Smith, a master only in their most familiar genre. It might be interesting to see a horror movie or something from Woody someday. And since Woody’s into italian directors, he could try something similar to Dario Argento or Lucio Fulci.

2. He doesn’t do sequels. Sure some of his movies have very similar premises (Crimes and Misdemeanors/Match Point) but they’re always still original stories with original characters.

3. He puts no explosions or needless nudity in his movies. Yes, nudity is very nice but his movies and stories just don’t need any.

4. He barely uses any special effects. There are some but they are always crucial to being able to tell the story. E.g making a character appear blurry in Deconstructing Harry.

5. He educates us and maybe gets some of us into the masters of art that we haven’t really checked into before. Dostoyevsky, Bergman etc.

6. He doesn’t make movies that are overlong. I’d say the average length of his movies is around 95 minutes. His longest movie is Match Point at 124 minutes.

7. He’s gotten a lot of great actors to act in his movies for a very little money. And many of these thespians have won Oscars for their performances. Has also worked with a lot of great cinematographers over the years such as Gordon Willis, Sven Nyqvist and Carlo di Palma.

8. He likes to try new stuff in his movies. The split-screen conversation in Annie Hall made directors to realise it’s potential in story-telling.

9. He doesn’t make movies for the money. He doesn’t change his style just because it would gross more money in theaters. Has been loyal to his own thing for four decades. Match Point was the first movie to be released in America in 19 years to make profit. The previous one was Hanna and Her Sisters.

10. He gets new sides out of actors. Have you heard Edward Norton sing before in musical style like he did in Everyone Says I Love You? Doesn’t tell his actors too much how to act or what to do in the scene but let’s them try things out themselves.

11. He always puts the characters first. The story is written through their lives and it’s about the relationships of the characters. You don’t need super fast editing or pompous techno music and other fluff to present the story. It’s the simplicity that makes the movies work so well.

12. He doesn’t change his style or revamp his passion accoring to the times. He still uses the same Windsor font against a black background like he’s done for decades. He doesn’t need today’s music hits to make his movies great but uses his own music or jazz classics.There’s a couple of directors and movies that have somewhat a Woody Allen feel to their movies that I like. When Harry Met Sally is a great movie directed by Rob Reiner. Also Edward Burns has directed several Woodyesque movies that I liked for example The Brothers McMullen, She’s The One and Sidewalks of New York. If you’re into Woody’s movies you might want to check into those. To me Woody is a true auteur that many directors since have tried to copy with not that good results.

Myself included. When I graduated from film school I wrote and directed this short film that was named after my home town, it was shot in black & white and the opening titles had white text against a black background. This other short film I did in that school had Django Reinhardt over the closing credits. What can I tell you. You are what you eat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21, 2012 5:41 am  #4

wow.  what a list!!   I'll  list my  favs  here too

Horror:   NOPE   I  don't do horror movies. 

Musicals---The King and I,  Sound Of Music,  Les Miz,  South Pacific, Beauty and the Beast (Disney)   Cinderella  (or The glass Slipper)  (Julie Andrews and Lesley Warren)   Mary Poppins, Camelot, My Fair Lady

Drama/Family---- Too many  to list here,  but Any Disney movie will do.  Nanny McPhee  both movies  Black Beauty with eliz taylor,  The Black Stallion movies,  Secretariat;  War Horse,  Mrs. Brown   (abt Queen Victoria after Albert's death)   The Other Boelyn Girl   (Guess who was in it?)     

Sci-fy-/adventure/fantasy  -LOTR, Star Wars  (all of em)   Dragonheart,  Merlin,  Troy,   King Arthur,   Excalibur, The Oddysey,  some others I cannot remember.  Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves ,Eragon movies   

Comedy--I  don't watch very many of these,  but I like them. Blazing Saddles,  Robin Hood, Men in Tights  M*A*S*H,   

Ok  that's my list,  now it's time to say goodnight, to all my  company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 21, 2012 12:21 pm  #5

I live just up the road, literally, from where Anne Boleyn's sister and husband lived in real life. It is a very attractive moated manor house. We have a local pub named after Anne Boleyn herself. The family name was Bullen originally, but that sounded a bit too DULL and so they made it sound more exotic by changing the spelling.

My favourite comedy film at the moment is The Hangover. It is a bit of a lads' movie but it is very, very funny and extremely well acted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 1:57 pm  #6

Sci-fi/fantasy: The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek: First Contact, Alien (1 and 2), The Matrix (1), Willow, Back to the Future, The Abyss, 2001, Pan's Labyrinth, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, THX 1138, Vidocq (2001), Planet of the Apes (1), Big Fish, Interview with the Vampire, Night Watch
Drama: A Beautiful Mind, The Color Purple, Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption, La Vita è Bella
Comedy: Galaxy Quest, Death at a Funeral (2007), My Cousin Vinny, Pulp Fiction, A Fish Called Wanda, Les Voyageurs, Le Dîner de Cons, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulin, Forest Gump, Fright Night (1985)
Horror: The Shining, Psycho (1960) (I don't watch a lot of horror movies)

Can't remember of anything else for now...

Last edited by Milkomeda (June 21, 2012 1:59 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 21, 2012 3:25 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

I live just up the road, literally, from where Anne Boleyn's sister and husband lived in real life. It is a very attractive moated manor house. We have a local pub named after Anne Boleyn herself. The family name was Bullen originally, but that sounded a bit too DULL and so they made it sound more exotic by changing the spelling.

wow  yur so lucky davina!! I  didn't know that abt their surname.  A lot of families did that,  back then,  and when they came to America through Ellis Island.    Mine did.   and I love english manor houses.   I  have yet to see one in real life.    Mostly I see them just on the telly.   

Oh...comedy---  I  LOVE  the bob hope/bing crosby road movies.   ALL of them!!     Also  I  have The Paleface   and I've got Fancy Pants, which  is sort of a retelling of The Paleface.    Hee hee hee!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 21, 2012 6:00 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

My favourite comedy film at the moment is The Hangover. It is a bit of a lads' movie but it is very, very funny and extremely well acted.

@Davina - Is it next to the Anne Boleyn Alley?

I liked THE HANGOVER as well. I think the "In the Air Tonight" scene with Mike Tyson was priceless.

@Milkomeda - we have a somewhat similar taste in movies, especially in sci-fi movies. I forgot Zemeckis' CONTACT from my list. Have you seen it? It's brilliant.
Just came from the movies, went to see MEN IN BLACK 3. It was OK, nothing special. SPOILER WARNING! I do like time-travelling and Brolin (he'll always be GOONIES' Brand to me) made a good young Agent K. It was also fun to see Jemaine Clement (FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS is one of my favorite shows) as the baddie and "Pussycat Doll" Nicole looked damn fine in leather.

June 21, 2012 8:18 pm  #9

Hm, I don't care for Woody Allen :/ (don't hit me!)

Well, what movies do I like...
very big Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan here. I especially love everything that's dystopian... or (post-)apocalyptic.
I generally don't like musicals or rom-coms, though I might make some exceptions.
And also historical movies. They tend to be boring.

The Hangover is very funny, I agree. But not so much the second movie.. :/

Uhh, and... Danny Boyle anyone?

June 21, 2012 8:33 pm  #10

That's ok. I'm not going to hit you for now. I think you either love or don't care for Woody's movies and I happen to love them and his style and scripts. Danny Boyle has some really good movies, like TRAINSPOTTING, 28 DAYS LATER, SUNSHINE and 127 HOURS. I think his debut SHALLOW GRAVE was pretty good as well. Very Coen Brotherish in a way. Reminded me of BLOOD SIMPLE.

June 21, 2012 9:11 pm  #11

Dramagod wrote:

@Milkomeda - we have a somewhat similar taste in movies, especially in sci-fi movies. I forgot Zemeckis' CONTACT from my list. Have you seen it? It's brilliant..

I vaguely remember something from this name, but with the description of the movie, I don't think so...

I love dystopia too Sammy! Have you read or saw 1984? It's the dystopian classic.

Last edited by Milkomeda (June 21, 2012 9:13 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21, 2012 9:29 pm  #12

I've seen a bunch of dystopian movies in my time. MAD MAX flicks, THE ROAD, BOOK OF ELI, 1984, EQUILIBRIUM, GATTACA, STRANGE DAYS, SILENT RUNNING, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, THX-1138 and the list goes on. I think the genre is hip today. Lots of movies, books and videogames have been released in the last few years about this dystopian world, with totalitarism or scavenging and surviving. No wonder, since the world will end on December 21st. My favorites are probably 12 MONKEYS, SLEEPER (obviously), THE ROAD WARRIOR, BLADE RUNNER and THE MATRIX. Also Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS is superb.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 21, 2012 9:31 pm)

June 21, 2012 9:41 pm  #13

I like The Road, more post-apocalyptic than dystopian though, the movie 1984 was great, a lot like the book: slow and grey. I like Gattaca and 12 Monkeys too, but I never thought of Blade Runner as a dystopia. I'll have to re-read the book! I already heard about Metropolis and it sounds interesting, it's a movie I'd like to see someday.

June 21, 2012 9:43 pm  #14

Well, Blade Runner takes place in a future world, that's full of polutions, that's dark, and controlled by major corporations and Big Brother is watching you (the big blimps). Dystopian or not, a brilliant film.

June 21, 2012 9:46 pm  #15

Surely, you're right, it just a long time I haven't read it. I love the book, I don't know why I haven't watch the movie.

June 21, 2012 9:50 pm  #16

You definitely should. I on the otherhand have the book but haven't read it. I'll read the book and you'll watch the movie. We got a deal?

June 21, 2012 9:51 pm  #17

Never watched the movie? Never? Never! Oh you don't know what you've been missing. Make sure you watch the director's cut though.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 9:53 pm  #18

Don't listen to Davina. Watch the "Final Cut", it's the one released in 2007.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 21, 2012 9:55 pm)

June 21, 2012 9:55 pm  #19

Dramagod wrote:

You definitely should. I on the otherhand have the book but haven't read it. I'll read the book and you'll watch the movie. We got a deal?

Why not? I'm sure it's as good as the book!

June 23, 2012 7:56 pm  #20

Davina wrote:

Not doubt "The Hangover" is blast comedy of year 2009 and it is always on mine top movies list.
Love to watch it every time.

Board footera