BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2012 2:08 am  #1

Tell us what part of the world you come from

With such a diverse community here, it's time to see who is where.

The list of choices is also diverse. You can simply choose your continent OR be more specific with what region you are from.
I know there are many choices we could have, but I have consulted with Sherli Bakerst to come up with a suitable list.

Where are you from

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 9:42 am  #2

Re: Tell us what part of the world you come from

Come on, there must be some Brits here. After all, this is Sherlock Holmes  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 17, 2012 9:54 am  #3

Yeah we had a glitch with the original poll & had to remake it.

OK, I was the glitch.
*Note to self, you cannot edit a post with a poll when the poll has more than 5 options*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 11:21 am  #4

I decided to read the "OR" part of your post as "and/or", so I voted and on top of that I'm going to say I'm from Finland. The home of Santa, sauna, Nokia cellphones, Angry Birds and myself.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 17, 2012 11:22 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 12:04 pm  #5

I like to be in America!
O.K. by me in America!
Ev'rything free in America
For a small fee in America!

Am I the only one who giggles at the scene in West Side Story where the patrons in the park go scurrying away in fear when the Jets with their coiffed hair and tight chinos come dancing gazelle like through? Twenty gay men dancing to Jerome Robbins choreography. Very intimidating!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 17, 2012 1:16 pm  #6

I am from the UK. Home of Holmes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2012 1:30 pm  #7

I am from inbetween The Benelux and Asia: Germany.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 17, 2012 1:33 pm  #8

Is there a nickname for fans of Sherlock yet? As you know in the US people sometimes call themselves homies (as in homeboys) and holmies with a silent "L". Like: "yo what's up holmes?". So are we holmies or what?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 1:43 pm  #9

Dramagod wrote:

Is there a nickname for fans of Sherlock yet? As you know in the US people sometimes call themselves homies (as in homeboys) and holmies with a silent "L". Like: "yo what's up holmes?". So are we holmies or what?

this

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 17, 2012 1:45 pm  #10

I'll follow Dramagod's example and say that I voted Europe but specifically I am Spanish

Last edited by Irene Adler (June 17, 2012 2:01 pm)

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 17, 2012 1:58 pm  #11

Sherlockians.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2012 2:11 pm  #12

From the book description of "Violets and Vitriol":
"Since the word 'Sherlockian' was first coined in 1903, women have enthusiastically taken the Sherlockian movement to their hearts."
http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/DAHLINGER,-S-E-

Sherlockians - for 109 years now!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 18, 2012 8:48 am  #13

It's my first time to hear "holmies", I love it Of course, I love "Sherlockian" too

June 18, 2012 12:13 pm  #14

17, hmm.

I'm sure there should be more.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 12:35 pm  #15

I am waiting for our first member from Antarctica so I can post a Pingu video!

June 18, 2012 12:38 pm  #16

Well the Antarctica member was on his way to the library to get internet access, when he met a bully from his school.
Here's the result:

But he got his own back, he kicked him in the ice-hole.
(It's a joke, if you say it properly. Of course I don't know how it will translate lol)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 12:41 pm  #17

Oh! It's another of those pun-type things that are difficult to translate. I am sure you can explain how the joke works for anyone who needs to know.

June 18, 2012 5:10 pm  #18

Um, um, um...
thanks for making the poll :D
That way I couldn't screw it up!

Go, Europe! 9 votes altogether

June 18, 2012 5:34 pm  #19

Davina wrote:

Oh! It's another of those pun-type things that are difficult to translate. I am sure you can explain how the joke works for anyone who needs to know.

Yeah, I understand it... but I don't have a clue why it's funny! Sorry, I'm ruining a punchline again, aren't I?!
Please, Davina, do explain...

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 18, 2012 5:45 pm  #20

Actually, I dare to think that anyone who understands "tell us what part of the world you come from" will grasp the pun behind "ice-hole", it's not exactly Shakespeare. I admit I like the little picture though, it made me smile.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

Board footera