BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2012 10:44 am  #1

Lawrence of Arabia

This has been one of my all-time favourites for decades. I watched it in 1982 on German TV in the cut-down version. Fortunately I was in London in 1989 when the director's cut was shown in cinemas and I went there three times in two weeks  . It has some terrific bits of dialogue and there are unforgettable images like the famous cut from the burning match to the sun-baked desert. Hard to believe it's fifty years old.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 15, 2012 10:52 am  #2

Re: Lawrence of Arabia

SusiGo wrote:

This has been one of my all-time favourites for decades. I watched it in 1982 on German TV in the cut-down version. Fortunately I was in London in 1989 when the director's cut was shown in cinemas and I went there three times in two weeks  . It has some terrific bits of dialogue and there are unforgettable images like the famous cut from the burning match to the sun-baked desert. Hard to believe it's fifty years old.

Oh my yes, Susi. I am a classic movie junkie. Yes, you have to watch Lawrence or any David Lean epic, Bridge on River Kwai, Zhivago, on letterbox format. No one with the possible exception of John Ford made more beautiful use of the grandeur of landscape. What a brilliant director. And Peter O'Toole was magnificent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 15, 2012 11:13 am  #3

Agree totally. A wonderful film, although spoilt a little for me when I first saw it at the pictures (cinema/movies) as I had an allergic reaction to the Poppets I was eating and was violently ill. Lol. Seriously, marvellous photography, acting and Peter O'Toole's eyes...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2012 6:47 pm  #4

I once had the chance to watch "The Bridge on the River Kwai" on a big screen. That was great.

And, yes, Peter's eyes are truly hypnotic in this movie  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 15, 2012 6:49 pm  #5

You can see Michael Fassbender do a good impersonation of Peter O'Toole's Larry in Prometheus.

The film's rubbish but that character was compelling.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 15, 2012 7:15 pm  #6

Must have a look at that  . Another Peter O'Toole film I love is "My favorite year" where he's playing an Errol Flynn lookalike in a 1950s TV show. One of the funniest films I know    .

June 15, 2012 9:12 pm  #7

I've seen Lawrence half-way. I like older epics like DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI and so on but for some reason this movie didn't move me the same way. Maybe it's because of all the sand. Not a fan of sand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 16, 2012 4:21 pm  #8

In this case I love sand  . And the character of Lawrence who was so complicated and a very unlikely hero for a Hollywood movie with having no love interest and being a masochist and so on.

October 7, 2012 5:13 pm  #9

I watched this when I was in labour!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 5:23 pm  #10

Hope it helped.  If I remember correctly I wasn't in the mood for films while being in labour. Maybe I should have tried.

October 7, 2012 5:33 pm  #11

Dramagod wrote:

I've seen Lawrence half-way. I like older epics like DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI and so on but for some reason this movie didn't move me the same way. Maybe it's because of all the sand. Not a fan of sand.

Drama, maybe it was just under the wrong circumstances. -> check Susi and besleybean     

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 7, 2012 5:34 pm  #12

Might be physically difficult for him. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 7, 2012 5:34 pm)

October 7, 2012 5:42 pm  #13

Oh. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 7, 2012 6:11 pm  #14

Certainly took my mind off it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 6:25 pm  #15

How did I miss the response to DramaGod's comment? Hilarious! That would make the newspapers!

Last edited by Davina (October 7, 2012 6:26 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 23, 2013 11:53 pm  #16

Agree with you m0r on this Prometheus was terribly disappointing but Michael Fassbender's portrayal of David was stunningly good especially the allusions to Lawrence- including his hair and that voice!   

Board footera